Sunday, May 2, 2010

May 2010 Floods


April showers didn't bring May flowers this year....it brought more showers....more like May floods. It started raining early Saturday morning and at times it came down in buckets. Steve and Jenna were at church, I took Seth to the high school for band and then went grocery shopping and came home to unload groceries and clean. Because I was busy cleaning, I wasn't paying much attention to what was going on outside. About 11:00 a.m., my neighbor Kim, who lives across the street from me called and said, "I know now why we have flood insurance." I looked out my front window and was shocked by what I saw. Her back yard backs up to a common area and there is a creek that runs behind the common area. It had flooded over and water was covering the entire common area and into the back yards of all the houses on the opposite side of the street from us. The water was rushing water and we were amazed at the speed it was traveling. The weather played havoc all day. When I went back to the school at 1:00 to get Seth, I drove through another deluge of rain. We got soaked running from the school to the van. (I only had one umbrella and we had to use that to keep the trumpet dry!) We had one tornado warning in the afternoon. Jenna was across the street playing with Kim's kids, so she stayed there and was in the closet with the kids for protection. Seth and I were in our mud room (our only "safe" place) with our bicycle helmets on (only we forgot to put our shoes on). We decided since we were in the laundry room we may as well fold the two baskets of towels that had just been washed! (Steve braved it and didn't get into the mud room with us.) Thankfully no tornado touched down near us. Our church was supposed to have a dinner at night but cancelled it because roads all over town were flooded and closed. Thankfully we live close enough to the church that Steve was able to drive over and get us some to go boxes for dinner! Church this morning was cancelled too. We woke up at 5:30 to the tornado siren going off but so far no bad weather has come our way and we haven't even seen any rain yet (but I think that is fixin' to change by the looks of the skies). Now we're waiting to hear if school is cancelled for tomorrow. If they cancel for two flakes of snow, I'm sure they'll cancel for flooding. There are some parts of our county that are in bad shape this morning. Thankfully for our neighbors the water in the common area receded overnight, but if more rain hits today, I'm sure the water will be in their backyards again.

No comments:

Post a Comment